To Do List
Sleep Well with These Tips
Your mind and body will feel better if you sleep well. If you often have trouble sleeping — either falling asleep or waking during the night and being unable to get back to sleep — these suggestions might be helpful:
Source: Office on Women’s Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning. Avoid “sleeping in” (sleeping much later than your usual time for getting up). It will make you feel worse.
- Establish a bedtime ritual by doing the same things every night for an hour or two before bedtime so your body knows when it is time to go to sleep.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol.
- Eat on a regular schedule and avoid a heavy meal prior to going to bed. Don't skip meals.
- Exercise daily, but avoid strenuous or invigorating activity before going to bed.
- Try having a small, healthy snack before you go to bed, so you don't wake up hungry in the middle of the night.