Lettuce-Wrapped Turkey Burgers with Tomato Relish and Sweet Potato Fries
Crisp lettuce wraps and a chunky relish balance the richness of the burgers and fries in this gratifying meal. Lean, dark-meat turkey and our custom burger spice blend deliver the flavor in the patties. Onion powder and granulated garlic get a bad rap, but we proudly include them in the blend because, when made from real onions and garlic, they provide instant, delicious complexity.
- 1 organic sweet potato
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 1 organic romaine heart
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup paleo mayo
- Kosher salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- Olive oil
- Season the sweet potato for roasting.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Measure the shallots.
- Separate the romaine leaves.
- Stir the relish.
Large frying pan
1. Roast the sweet potato fries
Heat the oven to 450°F.
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Trim the ends and cut the potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices.
- On a sheet pan, drizzle the sweet potato with 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Spread in an even layer and roast, turning once halfway through, until tender and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
While the potato roasts, prepare the turkey patties.
2. Prep the turkey patties
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for the tomato relish.
In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, onion powder, granulated garlic, sweet smoked paprika and half the parsley. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix gently until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into two ½-inch-thick patties.
3. Cook the burgers
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil until hot but not smoking. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
While the burgers cook, prepare the tomato relish and romaine.
4. Make the tomato relish; prep the romaine
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure 2 tablespoons.
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; separate the leaves.
In a medium bowl, stir together the tomatoes, shallots, sherry vinegar, remaining parsley and 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the romaine leaves to individual plates. Top with the burgers, spread with as much mayo as you like and spoon on the tomato relish. Serve the sweet potato fries and any remaining mayo on the side.
Enjoy healthy, easy recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered to your door weekly. Get $35 off your first Sun Basket delivery at bit.ly/gnpsunbasket.