These flavorful bowls are perfect for summer nights when you don’t want to turn on the oven. They’re full of garden-fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and are packed with protein from chicken breast, a Greek yogurt tzatziki, and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (roughly 2 lemons), divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into 3/4-inch thick round slices
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup seeded, diced cucumber
- 2 cups chopped greens (mixed greens, baby spinach, or baby kale)
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chef’s knife and cutting board
- Mixing bowls and spatulas
- Tongs or a grill spatula
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine 1/3 cup of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest, olive oil, garlic, honey, oregano, and all but 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the marinade and set it aside.
2. Add the chicken breast to the marinade. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for one hour or more.
3. While the chicken marinates, cook the orzo according to the package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the 3 tablespoons of reserved marinade. Toss with orzo and set aside.
4. To make the tzatziki, combine Greek yogurt and dill with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
5. Heat the grill to high heat and spray the grill grates. Place the marinated chicken and red onion slices on the grill.
6. Grill the onion slices for 5 to 7 minutes and the chicken for 9 to 10 minutes. Flip each halfway through.
7. Set the cooked chicken and onion aside until they’re cool enough to handle.
8. Dice the grilled onion and add to the orzo. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, greens, olives, and feta cheese. Toss to combine. Divide the orzo-vegetable mixture into two large bowls.
9. Slice the chicken, divide it over the two bowls, and drizzle each with tzatziki.
- Squeeze the lemons.
- Mix the marinade and tzatziki.
- Toss the orzo and vegetables.