To get the most out of physical activity, it needs to be a regular part of your life. Here are some tips to help you put exercise and other physical activity at the top of your “to do” list every day:
- Make it a priority. Remember that being active is one of the most important things you can do each day to maintain and improve health.
- Try being active first thing in the morning before you get too busy. Make it easy. You are more likely to exercise if it’s a convenient part of your day.
- Walk the entire mall or every aisle of the grocery store when you go shopping.
- Join a gym that’s close to your home and easy to get to.
- Take one or more flights of stairs up and two down.
- Make it social. Many people agree that an “exercise buddy” keeps them going. Take a walk during lunch with coworkers.
- Try a dance class – salsa, tango, square dancing – it’s up to you. Make it fun.
- Do things you enjoy, but pick up the pace a bit. If you love the outdoors, try biking or hiking. Listen to music while you garden or wash the car.
- Choose to be active in many places and in many ways. Get off the bus one or two stops early and walk the rest of the way. Do toe-stands while brushing your teeth. Dance with your kids. Make it happen!
Source: National Institutes of Health