Tuscan Vegetable Soup with Ciabatta Croutons
Packed with a vegetable-loaded mixture of potato, carrot, kale and cabbage, this dish pays homage to Tuscan ribollita, a minestrone-like soup. This dish showcases the delicious flavors and nutrient-dense qualities of the Mediterranean diet in one warm, comforting bowl.
- 1 ciabatta roll
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 or 2 organic celery ribs
- 1 organic carrot
- 1 or 2 organic waxy potatoes (such as Yukon Gold or red; about 6 ounces total)
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 small bunch organic kale
- ¼ pound shredded organic green cabbage (such as Savoy)
- ¾ cup crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 3 or 4 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 ounce shaved Parmesan
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Tear the ciabatta.
- Press the garlic.
- Strip the kale leaves.
- Rinse the beans.
- Garnish with the Parmesan.
- Peeler (optional)
- Garlic press or fine-toothed grater (optional)
- Large sauce pot
- Sheet pan
1. Make the ciabatta croutons
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Tear the ciabatta into 1-inch pieces.
- On a sheet pan, drizzle the ciabatta with 1 tablespoon oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread the ciabatta in an even layer and toast in the oven until crisp and browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the ciabatta croutons toast, start preparing the vegetables.
2. Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Trim the ends from the celery; cut the celery on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim off the ends; cut the carrot in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Scrub or peel the potatoes; cut the potatoes lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick pieces.
- Finely chop, press or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
3. Start the soup
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes and garlic and season with salt.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add the kale, cabbage, tomatoes and 3 cups water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just
tender and the soup thickens, 5 to 7 minutes. While the soup simmers, prepare the remaining ingredients.
4. Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the soup
- Rinse the white beans.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
To the soup, add the beans and parsley; bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove
from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place the ciabatta croutons in individual bowls and ladle the soup on top. Garnish with the Parmesan and serve.
Enjoy healthy, easy recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered to your door weekly. Get $35 off your first Sun Basket delivery at bit.ly/gnpsunbasket.