Superfast Barbecue Tofu Burgers with Kale Slaw
These barbecue tofu burgers and kale slaw are the stuff vegetarian dreams are made of. It’s also a delicious way to say goodbye to summer.
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- Sun Basket coleslaw dressing base (onion - red wine vinegar - fresh garlic)
- 5 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
- 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 Hodo organic tofu burgers
- 2 vegan whole wheat buns
- Sun Basket barbecue blend (tomato paste - apple cider vinegar - maple syrup - molasses - vegan Worcestershire - fresh garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
- Stir the coleslaw dressing.
- Toss the slaw.
- Help assemble the burgers.
Wash produce before use.
1. Prep the tomato; make the kale slaw
- Cut away the core from the tomato; cut the tomato crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Set aside for garnish.
- In a large bowl, stir together the coleslaw dressing base and 1 tablespoon (1 TBL) oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the kale, carrots, and dried cranberries and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
2. Cook the burgers; toast the buns
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon (2 TBL) oil until hot but not smoking. Add the tofu burgers and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- Place the buns, cut sides down, in the pan and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven.
- Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on individual plates. Top each with a burger, as much barbecue blend as you like, and the tomato slices. Serve the kale slaw and any remaining barbecue blend on the side.
Nutrition per serving
Calories: 750, Protein: 36g (72% DV), Fiber: 25g (100% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 16g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 1320mg (55% DV), Carbohydrates: 111g (37% DV), Total Sugars: 32g, Added Sugars: (buns contain organic molasses, organic brown sugar, and organic barley malt; barbecue blend contains molasses and maple syrup): 9g (18% DV).
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Enjoy healthy, easy recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered to your door weekly. Get $35 off your first Sun Basket delivery at bit.ly/gnpsunbasket.