This flavorful dish is on the table in about 30 minutes — and cleanup is extra easy because everything cooks in one pan. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are nearly as lean as chicken breasts, yet they stay juicy and tender when braised. Greek yogurt makes the rich, lemony cream sauce surprisingly healthy and high in protein.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 14-ounce can of artichoke quarters (in water, not marinated), drained
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- Sauté pan with a lid
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cup and spoon
- Lemon zester/microplane
1. Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Place the chicken thighs in the pan in a single layer.
3. Cook the chicken on the first side for 4-5 minutes, or until the chicken is lightly browned and easily lifts away from the pan. Using a spatula, flip the chicken and cook for 3 more minutes or until lightly browned on the second side.
4. Remove the chicken from the pan, and set it aside on a plate.
5. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for another minute.
6. Add the chicken broth, lemon zest, and juice to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until it slightly thickens.
7. Add the chicken thighs and artichokes to the pan. When the mixture returns to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink and reaches an internal temperature of 165º F.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and add the spinach. Stir until it wilts.
9. Add the yogurt and stir until everything is combined.
10. Season with additional salt to taste.
11. Serve with rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes, if desired.
- Season the chicken
- Drain the artichokes
- Add the spinach
- Stir the sauce