This fresh, vibrant salad is a tasty side dish for dinner or to share at a cookout. You can top it with canned tuna or salmon for an easy, light meal. It’s packed with bright lemony flavor, colorful vegetables, and protein from chickpeas and feta cheese. The fresh vegetables, beans, olive oil, and herbs are all staples of the Mediterranean diet, which is famous for its anti-inflammatory and heart-healthy benefits.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 1 English cucumber, peeled if desired
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced or minced red onion (about 1/2 of a small onion)
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 3 ounces feta cheese, cubed or crumbled (about 2/3 cup)
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Spatula or mixing spoon
1. To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk well to combine. Set the dressing aside.
2. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, and then cut each piece in half again to make 4 long quarters. Cut each quarter crosswise into 1/2-inch wide pieces. Place the cucumber pieces in a large mixing bowl.
3. Cut the cherry or grape tomatoes in half, and add them to the mixing bowl.
4. Add the chickpeas, onion, and minced parsley to the bowl. Gently mix everything to combine.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again. Let the salad sit in the refrigerator for 10 minutes for the flavors to blend.
6. Before serving, sprinkle the feta cheese over the salad and lightly toss to combine.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Toss the salad.
- Whisk and pour the dressing.