Mediterranean Lemon Chicken with Artichoke Ragout
We like to think this easy, one-pan meal conjures up visions of sun-drenched landscapes in Greece. In a delicious mash-up of classic Hellenic ingredients, chicken marinates in fresh lemon juice, garlic and oregano while baby broccoli and olives are quickly cooked alongside meaty artichoke hearts and bell pepper. Lemon — the juice in the marinade and the zest in the vegetables — ties the dish together.
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 3 sprigs organic fresh oregano
- 10 ounces organic baby broccoli
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons pitted Kalamata olives
- ½ cup cooked quartered artichoke hearts
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Juice the lemon.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Strip the oregano leaves.
- Garnish with the oregano.
Fine-toothed grater, garlic press, optional, 2 medium bowls, large frying pan
Prep and marinate the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set the zest aside for the vegetables.
- Finely chop, press or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon; set aside half for the vegetables.
- Strip the oregano leaves from the stems and coarsely chop half; set aside the remaining whole leaves for garnish.
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, lemon juice, half of the garlic and chopped oregano and turn to coat.
While the chicken marinates, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the ragout ingredients
- Trim about 1 inch from the ends of the baby broccoli; cut any larger stalks in half lengthwise.
- Remove the stem, ribs and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into strips and then coarsely chop.
- Coarsely chop the olives.
Cook the ragout
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 teaspoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the baby broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the artichoke hearts, bell pepper and remaining garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally until the broccoli is just tender and the artichokes and pepper are warmed through and starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the olives and cook until warmed through 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest. Transfer to another medium bowl. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the chicken
In the same pan used for the vegetables, warm 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the chicken and marinade and cook, turning once, until the chicken is lightly browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed.
Transfer the chicken and vegetables to individual plates, garnish with the oregano leaves and serve.