This easy grilled salmon dinner is perfect for a summer night — or anytime you want to feel like you’re on a Caribbean vacation. Salmon is packed with heart-healthy omega-3 fats, and the bright, colorful pineapple salsa provides a healthy dose of nutrients and antioxidants.
- 2 cups diced pineapple (about half a fresh pineapple)
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper (1 medium pepper)
- 1/4 cup minced scallions (about 3 scallions)
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper (about 1 medium pepper)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 4 four-ounce salmon fillets with skin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon black or white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Small saucepan
- Mixing spoon
- Basting brush
1. Prepare the pineapple salsa. In a mixing bowl, combine the pineapple, sweet red pepper, scallions, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt (or to taste). Toss to combine and set the salsa aside.
2. Prepare the maple-soy glaze. In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce (or tamari) and maple syrup. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Once the glaze comes to a rapid boil, reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the glaze thickens and coats a spoon. Stir it frequently as it boils, and watch it carefully so it doesn’t overcook or burn.
4. Remove the glaze from the heat. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
5. Prepare the salmon. Heat the grill to medium-high heat and spray the grates with cooking spray. While the grill heats, season the salmon fillets with 1/8 teaspoon of salt, pepper, and the sesame seeds.
6. Grill the salmon, skin side down, for 12 minutes or until it flakes and is no longer translucent. Brush the top of each fillet with the maple-soy glaze when they are nearly finished cooking.
7. Serve the salmon fillets topped with salsa.
- Add the salsa ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Stir the salsa.
- Season the salmon.