Loaded baked potato soup is a long-standing favorite. This version includes roasted cauliflower for an added nutritional punch, but it doesn’t skimp on the potato flavor. It’s relatively easy to make, and it reheats beautifully as leftovers.
- 5 cups cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 medium russet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- Optional garnishes: crumbled bacon, sliced scallions, shredded cheddar, sour cream
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sheet pan
- Large pot
- Wooden spoon
- Blender or immersion blender
1. Roast the cauliflower.
Heat the oven to 400°F. Toss the cauliflower on the sheet pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, a pinch of salt, and a crack of pepper. Roast for 25 minutes, until the cauliflower is soft and slightly browned in places. Set aside.
2. Cook the soup.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes (stirring continuously), until the onions are translucent and have begun to soften. Add the garlic and thyme, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more, until fragrant. Add the potatoes and stock, season with a big pinch of salt, and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and can be easily mashed with a fork.
3. Blend the soup.
If you’re using an immersion blender, add milk and cauliflower to the pot and blend until smooth.
If you’re using a standing blender, add ⅓ of the cooked mixture to the blender at a time, along with ⅓ of the cauliflower and ⅓ cup of milk. Blend until smooth and repeat until all the soup is blended.
Pour the soup into bowls and top it with the garnishes of your choice. We like crispy crumbled bacon, scallions, and cheddar cheese.
- Toss cauliflower on the sheet pan
- Mix ingredients in the pot