These simple Grapefruit Poppy Seed Muffins are a fun twist on the traditional lemon version. Serve them with a bit of butter or cream cheese and a fresh grapefruit for a healthy breakfast or afternoon snack. The recipe calls for Greek yogurt, which adds extra protein to the muffins and makes them a bit denser with slightly more tang.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice (from about 1/2 grapefruit)
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 large mixing bowls
- 12-cup muffin tin
- Wooden spoon
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In another large mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, butter, eggs, grapefruit juice, grapefruit zest, and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients inside.
Use a wooden spoon to gently mix the batter until combined. Some lumps of flour are OK. (Overmixing will make the muffins too dense.)
5. Spoon batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup to the top with batter.
Bake for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Spray muffin tin
- Measure ingredients
- Mix batter
- Pour batter into the muffin cups