There’s nothing like a fish taco to get you in the mood for warmer weather. Homemade fennel slaw and mango salsa make these tacos extra special without requiring a lot of extra work.
- 1 medium head fennel, cored, thinly sliced, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 medium mango, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for panfrying
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound tilapia, cut into strips 1-2 inches long
- 12 corn tortillas
- Optional garnishes: sour cream, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedges
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 large and 2 medium mixing bowls
- Fork or spoon for mixing
- Large skillet
- Sheet pan
1. Make the fennel slaw.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the fennel, mayonnaise, and a pinch of salt. Set aside in the fridge.
2. Make the mango salsa.
In another medium mixing bowl, stir together the mango, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, oil, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Set aside in the fridge.
3. Preheat the oven.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, so it’s ready for you to warm the tortillas in the last step below.
4. Cook the fish.
In a large bowl, mix all the spices together with a big pinch of salt. Add the fish and toss it around the bowl, until each piece is coated with the spice mixture. Heat a thin layer of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add half of the fish. Cook for about 2 minutes, then flip each piece and cook another minute, until the fish flakes easily and is opaque throughout. Transfer cooked fish to a plate and cover it with foil as you cook the second batch.
5. Warm and assemble the tacos.
Spread 6 tortillas on a sheet pan and warm in the preheated oven for a few minutes. Repeat with the remaining 6 tortillas. To assemble the tacos, pile fillings and optional garnishes on top of each tortilla.
- Mix fennel slaw
- Mix mango salsa
- Mix spices