Preventing Slips and Falls at Home
Falls are one of the leading causes of unintentional injuries in the U.S., accounting for approximately 8.9 million visits to the emergency room. The risk of falling rises with age. But there are a number of things you can do to help prevents slips and falls:
- Clean up all spills immediately.
- Stay off of freshly mopped floors.
- Secure electrical and phone cords out of traffic areas.
- Remove small throw rugs or use non-skid mats to keep them from slipping.
- Wear shoes with good support and slip-resistant soles.
- Arrange furniture to provide open walking pathways.
- Keep drawers and cabinet doors closed at all times.
- Install handrails on all staircases on both sides.
- Ensure adequate lighting both indoors and outdoors.
- Remove debris from exterior walkways.
Source: National Safety Council
September 2, 2014