Being older doesn’t mean you have to feel tired all the time. There are many things you can do to help you get a good night’s sleep:
- Go to sleep and get up at the same time each day, even on weekends. Try to avoid napping in the late afternoon or evening.
- Take time to relax before bedtime. Some people watch television, read a book, listen to soothing music or soak in a warm bath.
- Keep your bedroom dark, not too hot or too cold, and as quiet as possible.
- Exercise at regular times each day but not within three hours of bedtime. Try to get outside in the sunlight each day.
- Be careful about when and how much you eat. Large meals close to bedtime may keep you awake, but a light snack in the evening can help you get a good night’s sleep.
- Stay away from caffeine late in the day.Drink fewer beverages in the evening to reduce the need to use the bathroom at night.
Source: National Institute on Aging