It’s never too late to quit smoking. Quitting smoking now improves your health and reduces your risk of heart disease, cancer, lung disease, and other smoking-related illnesses. There are many resources available to help you quit smoking, including quitlines, educational materials, Web sites, and support groups. You can also talk to your doctor about other strategies for quitting that may be right for you.
Call(1-800-784-8669) or (en Español) if you want help quitting. This is a free telephone support service that can help people who want to stop smoking or using tobacco. Callers are routed to their state quitlines, which offer several types of quit information and services.
These may include:
- Free support, advice, and counseling from experienced quitline coaches
- A personalized quit plan
- Practical information on how to quit, including ways to cope with nicotine withdrawal
- The latest information about stop-smoking medications
- Free or discounted medications (available for at least some callers in most states)
- Referrals to other resources
- Mailed self-help materials
Find out how much money quitting could save you with our Cigarette Cost Calculator.
Online Government Resources
- Smokefree.gov – A website dedicated to helping you quit smoking.
- SmokefreeTXT – free 24/7 quit help for adults and young adults texted to your phone!
- Smokefree Women – A website that helps women quit smoking.
- Smokefree Teen – A website that helps teens quit smoking.
- Smokefree.gov en Español – A website in Spanish dedicated to helping you quit smoking.
- Smokefree QuitGuide App – Track your progress, receive encouraging reminders, and more on your smartphone. Available from iTunes.
- Help for Smokers and Other Tobacco Users – Booklet that tells you about ways you can quit.
- Pathways to Freedom: Winning the Fight Against Tobacco – Guide that addresses tobacco issues specific to African Americans.
- FDA 101: Smoking Cessation Products – Article discussing FDA approved products that help you quit smoking.
- Quit Tobacco—Make Everyone Proud – A DoD-sponsored website for military personnel and their families.
- SmokefreeVet – A mobile text messaging service for veterans getting health care through the VA.
- What You Need to Know About Quitting – An article that highlights the great deal of health benefits associated with quitting smoking.
- Tips for Quitting – Tips to help you quit.
- BeTobaccoFree.gov – One-stop shop with quit guidance for tobacco users, parents, educators, and health professionals.
Other Online Resources
- American Cancer Society – Guide to quitting smoking.
- American Heart Association – 1-800-AHA-USA1
- BecomeAnEX.org – A free, online plan to help you quit smoking.
- American Lung Association – 1-800-LUNG-USA