November 1, 2021
Just like any health concern, high blood pressure (hypertension) can sneak up on us. In our busy, everyday lives, we can forget to take care of ourselves. Remembering the basics of diet, exercise, sleep, and relaxation can help us stay on course in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Here are five steps that can help you keep a healthy blood pressure.
1. A nutritious diet featuring fresh fruits and vegetables that is low in sodium, fat, and carbohydrates is ideal. Avoiding fast food and processed or packaged food options is advisable.
2. Keeping hydrated with water throughout the day helps maintain fluid balance. Eight cups of water, if possible, is preferred. Watching and limiting caffeine and alcohol intake will also help in lowering blood pressure.
3. Exercising regularly and moving as much as possible is important. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator and parking further out in parking lots can help increase movement.
4. Sleeping with consistent sleep patterns and habits can keep your heart rate in check and, in turn, your blood pressure. A quiet room with a pleasant temperature and low interference from electronic stimulation is recommended to help improve sleep.
5. Finding relaxation techniques to help diffuse the stress in our busy, daily lives is beneficial. Yoga, meditation, walking in nature, or listening to music are all useful tools to keep stress to a minimum.
The views and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily represent that of AmerisourceBergen Drug Corporation. The content is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, prescribe or treat any health condition and should not be used as a substitute for consulting with your health professional.