Most of us are familiar with oatmeal for breakfast with classic toppings like peanut butter or fruits. This recipe branches out and uses savory ingredients that you may find in an omelet.
1. Place the oats, water and pinch of salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat and simmer oats uncovered until oats are tender, about 40 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. When hot, add half of the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
4. Increase the heat to high, add the mushrooms, stir well and cook until the mushrooms release their liquid, and then brown, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
5. In the same skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat and sauté remaining garlic until fragrant, 1 minute.
6. Add kale, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper, and sauté until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Remove kale and set aside.
7. Again, in the same skillet, fry each of the eggs individually (easy-over recommended) or poach eggs separately.
8. Portion the oats into 4 bowls and top with kale, mushroom mixture and egg. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Substitutions: spinach for kale, button mushrooms for mixed mushrooms
Diabetic Exchanges: 3
This recipe is gluten-free, vegetarian