Put the Brakes on Holiday Stress
It’s so easy to get caught up in the “shoulds” at the holidays — and to become stressed in the process. This year, decide which of these tips you will use to help reduce your stress and to allow yourself to enjoy the season.
- Ask people what they want instead of scouring the earth to find the “perfect” gifts.
- Stick to your gift budget.
- Buy some prepared foods instead of cooking everything from scratch.
- Ask others to bring their favorite dishes.
- Cook and freeze foods ahead of time.
- Simplify holiday commitments and traditions. Discuss with your family which traditions are most important to you and to them. It's okay to re-evaluate past traditions.
- Allow time for yourself. Remember to do things that you enjoy.
- Don't over-schedule yourself. Allow enough time to relax and recover after visiting with others.
- Tell family members about your commitments so you are not struggling against their expectations.
Source: Cleveland Clinic